It’s a common question from business owners looking to adopt our business phone system: “Can I keep my current phone number?” Fortunately, the answer is almost always YES – something a Vonage Business representative can confirm while you’re on the phone.
Number porting refers to transferring a phone number from one service provider to another. The number porting process requires written authorization from the business, as well as cooperation from outgoing provider. Therefore, a porting timetable is seldom predictable. That’s why we devote a specific team to managing the porting process for our customers: off-line pros to handle submissions and logistics, and agents who maintain ongoing contact with the customer. In the meantime, customers are provided a temporary phone number if they wish to use our service immediately. Or, they may simply wait until the number is ported to activate service.
Facts to Know About Phone Number Porting
- Both local and toll-free numbers can be ported to the Vonage Business system.
- A representative can quickly confirm the portability of a number before signup.
- Porting is sometimes accomplished within days, but several weeks is more common.
- Customers can use a temporary number until porting is complete, or activate after porting.
- The Vonage Business team stays in contact with the customer throughout the process.
- Customers are required to complete a letter of authorization and provide a phone bill.
- A notification is sent 24 hours before numbers port to help eliminate business downtime.
The porting process does require a degree of patience – but our experienced porting specialists make the process as seamless as possible. Once your number is ported over to us, you’ll not only keep the identity of your current number, you’ll be operating with one of industry’s top cloud-based business phone service providers. Call us today and see what we can do for your business: 1-877-862-2562.